A young Sister from Tralee, Co. Kerry made her first profession with the Little Sisters of the Poor in America last week
Sr Monica’s Solemn Profession and photos…
Sarah, a new Postulant for the Redemptoristines entered the Monastery of St Alphonsus Easter Sunday
A third new Postulant this year joins St. Mary's community, Glencairn, the only Cistercian monastery for women in Ireland
Congratulations to the three newly ordained deacons, Brs Matthew Martinez OP, Luuk Jansen OP and Colm Mannion OP
Two New Novices for the Dominican Sisters
The Carmelites in Ireland also had great reason to celebrate
Br. Ultan is a member of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary and was ordained to the Diaconate by Bishop Ray Field, Auxiliary Bishop of Dublin.
Dominican Sister makes First Profession
You are asked to remember all these young religious in your prayers as they continue to discern the life to which they have been called.
Of course it has also been a busy year for the diocesan Irish church (and our papal nuncio Archbishop Charles Brown) with the appointments of 6 new bishops - so far! We still have a one vacant diocese (Derry) and two retirements due - Bishop Christopher Jones (Elphin) and Bishop John Kirby (Clonfert).
Between 2014 and 2015 we will also see the retirements of a further number of bishops including two of our archbishops upon reaching the relevant retirement age of 75 (not taking account of sudden deaths or illness among the bishops). The canon law requirement is for a bishop to submit a letter of resignation to the Holy Father upon reaching the age of 75 (which is ironic as Pope Francis is currently 76) and the resignation may or may not be accepted! The Irish bishops due to submit such letters in the next while include:
- Archbishop Dermot Clifford - Cashel & Emly (74 years old)
- Cardinal Sean Brady - Armagh (73 years old)
- Bishop John Buckley - Cork & Ross (73 years old)
- Bishop Philip Boyce OCD - Raphoe (73 years old). Bishop Boyce is one of the few religious who is currently a bishop in Ireland along with Bishop Kieran Reilly SMA (Killaloe) and the retired bishops John Magee SPS (Cloyne) and Brendan Comiskey SSCC (Ferns).
- Bishop Michael Smith - Meath (73 years old)
- Bishop William Lee - Waterford and Lismore (although he is only 71)
- Bishop Brendan Leahy - Bishop of Limerick
- Bishop Ray Browne - Bishop of Kerry
- Archbishop Eamon Martin - co-adjutor archbishop of Armagh
- Bishop Denis Nulty - Diocese of Kildare & Leighlin
- Bishop William Crean - Diocese of Cloyne
- Bishop Francis Duffy - Diocese of Ardagh and Clonmacnois
- And of course west Limerick also remembers our other Limerick bishop - Bishop Michael Lenihan OFM - bishop of La Ceiba, Honduras.
- Sean Flynn - archdiocese of Tuam
- Stephen Gorman - diocese of Raphoe
- Ben Hodnett - diocese of Cork & Ross
- Sean McGuigan - archdiocese of Armagh
- Dominic Meehan - archdiocese of Cashel & Emily
- Colum Murphy - diocese of Dromore
- Liam Boyle - Diocese of Raphoe
- Brian Fitzpatrick - Diocese of Dromore
- Dominic McGrattan - Diocese of Down and Connor
- Pat O’Donoghue - Diocese of Cloyne