18 Feb 2015

Miserere (Allegri)

Big H/T to Phil over at Ennis Blue for this find on Youtube. It is a favourite of SS102fm blog.




 
This is the full version of the magnificent “Miserere mei, Deus” translated as “Have mercy on me, O God”, is based on Psalm 51, composed by Allegri and here performed by the Choir of New College, Oxford.
 
Full background history and translation HERE.
Miserere mei, Deus: secundum magnam misericordiam tuam  
Et secundum multitudinem miserationum tuarum, dele iniquitatem meam.

Amplius lava me ab iniquitate mea: et a peccato meo munda me.

Quoniam iniquitatem meam ego cognosco: et peccatum meum contra me est semper.

Tibi soli peccavi, et malum coram te feci: ut justificeris in sermonibus tuis, et vincas cum judicaris.

Ecce enim in iniquitatibus conceptus sum: et in peccatis concepit me mater mea...................
 

Have mercy upon me, O God, after Thy great goodness

According to the multitude of Thy mercies do away mine offences.

Wash me throughly from my wickedness: and cleanse me from my sin.

For I acknowledge my faults: and my sin is ever before me.

Against Thee only have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that Thou mightest be justified in Thy saying, and clear when Thou art judged.

Behold, I was shapen in wickedness: and in sin hath my mother conceived me......

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much. Blessings for Lent 2015 and looking forward to sharing the journey again with you all.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.