21 May 2014

18th May 2014 - Franciscan Friars of the Renewal (aka the Monks of Moyross) Part 1 - 5th Sunday of Easter

On last Sunday's programme SS102fm broadcast the first in a three part series of interviews with memebers of the community of the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal in Limerick city. Br Thomas tells us about the friars affectionatly known as the "monks of Moyross" and their apostolate in Limerick city.

You can listen back to the full programme podcast HERE.

Franciscan Friars of the Renewal (aka the monks of Moyross)

Lorraine and John visited the friars in Moyross a couple of weeks back and we are delighted to broadcast the first of three part series on this unusual community working and living in our diocese.


The Community of the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal was begun in 1987 by eight Capuchin Franciscan friars under the leadership and initiative of Fr. Benedict J. Groeschel, CFR. From these eight members and their first friary of St. Crispin’s in the South Bronx, the Friars of the Renewal have grown to about 120 men in number from at least 12 countries. Their houses have expanded to include six in the metropolitan New York area, a Friary in New Mexico and missions in England and Honduras and two in Ireland.
"A new breed of monk is making waves in the heart of the Bronx in New York, and is beginning to have an impact here too. They opened their first house in Ireland in Moyross, Co Limerick. In the Bronx they ran soup kitchens, shelters for the homeless but they are somewhat baffled by Moyross: "There's a different kind of need here. It's a social need and a spiritual need. but it is not so tangible in a lot of ways and it's not easy to find out a way in which we are going to bring this to the people other that just being here.," says Brother Shawn. And that's exactly what they are doing - just being, living in two attached council houses in one of the streets in Moyross."
You can listen to Br Thomas interview excerpted from the main programme HERE where he reflects on his vocation journey and the work of the friars in Limerick as an apostolate of presence.

You can watch an episode of Would You Believe HERE.

From Catholic Charismatic Renewal you can read article HERE.

Christian Science Monitor article HERE.

An episode from EWTN's Sunday Night Prime in August 2013




Gospel - John 14:1-12 (5th Sunday of Easter)
 
"Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way where I am going." Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?" Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also; henceforth you know him and have seen him."
 
Philip said to him, "Lord, show us the Father, and we shall be satisfied." Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and yet you do not know me, Philip? He who has seen me has seen the Father; how can you say, `Show us the Father'? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father in me; or else believe me for the sake of the works themselves.
 
"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I go to the Father.
 
 
Reflections on the gospel reading of the day:
 
Liturgical odds and ends
 
Liturgy of the Hours - psalter week 1; 5th week of Easter
 
Saints of the Week
 
May 23rd - St. Gregory VII
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.