"Prayer in my opinion is nothing else than an intimate sharing between friends; it means taking time frequently to be alone with Him who we know loves us."
- St Teresa of Avila
"If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough."
- Mesiter Eckhart
“Prayer is not an old woman's idle amusement. Properly understood and applied, it is the most potent instrument of action.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
“For me, prayer is a surge of the heart; it is a simple look turned toward heaven, it is a cry of recognition and of love, embracing both trial and joy.”
― Thérèse de Lisieux
We are asking our readers and listeners - especially those who are house bound or unable to get to Mass on a regular basis - would they consider taking on a prayer intention for the year from one of the following list - would they help us "plug into the power of prayer"?
We have also suggested a celestial guide whose assistance and intercession could be sought for the intention.
- Protection of the Unborn - St. Joseph, Our Lady of Guadalupe and St. Gianna Beretta Molla
- Persecuted Christians especially in the Middle East - St Stephen, the Martyrs of Uganda, the Martyrs of Vietnam, St Michael the Archangel
- Religious and all those in consecrated life - Our Lady
- Support of Marriage and family life - The Holy Family, St Rita of Casica
- Those suffering from addiction - St Monica, Venerable Matt Talbot
- Peace - Our Lady of Knock Queen of Peace, St. Francis of Assisi and the Child of Prague
- Government and civil leaders - St. Thomas Moore and/or St. Jude
- Cancer patients - St. Peregrine
- The sick - Our Lady of Lourdes and St. Camillus
- The unemployed and those seeking work - St. Joseph the Worker
- Those who are homeless whether due to illness, war etc - St Benedict Joseph Labre and St Margaret of Cortona
- Emigrants & Refugees - St. Patrick, the Holy Family
- Vocations - St. Alphonsus Ligouri
- Pope Francis - St Peter, St Francis of Assisi, St Ignatius of Loyola, St George
- Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI - St. Benedict and St. Joseph
- The Church - St. Michael the Archangel
- Youth - St. John Bosco, St. Francesco and St. Jacinta (Seers of Fatima) and Blessed Pier Georgio Frassati
- If you have various health problems keep this list of saints close by.
- Create a list like this which represents the real needs of your parish.
- Put this information on a small sheet of paper, with a suggested prayer & contact person.
- Then invite parishioners to sign up (How: by contacting someone? by signing a book? do they need to choose one intention or all?)
- Ensure that this is not simply offered at Sunday Mass, but also include all those who receive Holy Communion in their homes - they are full members of our communion and a blessing too.
- Mention the prayer intentions in parish notices/ noticeboard/ newsletter across the year.
- Celebrate the ministry with a thank you note at Christmas.