You can listen to the full podcast of this weeks programme HERE.
Catholic News Roundup 2
On the morning of 26th July 2016, in St.-Étienne-du-Rouvray, a working-class suburb of the cathedral city of Rouen as Father Hamel was celebrating Mass two men with knives entered the small church and slit his throat, an attack that horrified people across France and the world. The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack, saying that the two assailants — who were shot dead by the police — were “soldiers” retaliating against the United States-led coalition fighting the group in Iraq and Syria. Condemnation of the attack was swift from around the world. Articles and commentary below:
- Father Jacques Hamel: 'A good priest … who did his job to the very end'
- Fr. Hamel ordered, “Begone, Satan!” as his killers attacked
- Jacques Hamel, 85, a Beloved French Priest, Killed in His Church
- Fr Hamel was martyred ‘in odium fidei’, says Archbishop Fisher
- All faiths must be ‘workers for peace’, says sister of Fr Jacques Hamel at funeral
Other things covered on this weeks programme:
- New bishop appointed for the diocese of Killaloe
- Social media, pastoral director and healthcare appointments in Killaloe
- Pope names commission to study women and diaconate
Events are finalised for the National Novena to Our Lady of Knock will take place from the 14th – 22nd August. The theme for this year is ‘Merciful like the Father’ in keeping with the Jubilee Year of Mercy. The Novena will open with Most Rev. Bishop Michael Smith and the Meath Diocesan Pilgrimage as well as guest speaker, Mr. Noel Smyth, Businessman and Solicitor who whose talk entitled ‘God and Mammon- doing the right thing’ will explore the topic of business and ethics. As in recent years, workshops will take place daily at 12 noon and 6pm on a range of interesting and content.
You can read more about it here including the timetable of events.
Gospel Luke 12:32-48
Reflections on this weeks gospel:
Word on Fire
Centre for Liturgy
Liturgical odds & ends
Liturgy of the Hours - psalter week 3; 19th week in Ordinary time
Saints of the Week
August 8th - St Dominic
August 9th - St Teresa Benedicta of the Cross (Edith Stein)
August 10th - St Lawrence
August 11th - St Clare of Assisi
August 12th - St Lelia and St Jane Frances de Chantel
August 13th - St Fachtna