You can listen to the podcast of this weeks full programme HERE.
Reflecting on Advent
This weeks reflection from Fr John is excerpted from this programme and is available HERE.
- Week 2: Second Sunday of Advent
- Second Sunday of Advent - Daily Advent Prayer
- Vatican Radio - 2nd Sunday of Advent – Dec 4, 2016
Some articles on Advent
- Why Advent? The Bridegroom is coming, and this is forever - As we make straight our paths and light our candles we put much aside to become, like Mary, great with expectation
- Struggling with Advent? Maybe you’re doing it wrong! - Advent is a complicated season of past and future, and of hope... and it's the hope that can trip us up
- How Advent helps us, especially when life gets tough - God makes us an Advent people: a people who see “limits as possibilities to go beyond.”
- A German priest’s Advent reflections from World War II
Gospel - Matthew 3:1-12
John the Baptist appeared, preaching in the desert of JudeaReflections on this weeks gospel:
and saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!”
It was of him that the prophet Isaiah had spoken when he said:
A voice of one crying out in the desert,
Prepare the way of the Lord,
make straight his paths.
John wore clothing made of camel’s hair
and had a leather belt around his waist.
His food was locusts and wild honey.
At that time Jerusalem, all Judea,
and the whole region around the Jordan
were going out to him
and were being baptized by him in the Jordan River
as they acknowledged their sins.
When he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees
coming to his baptism, he said to them, “You brood of vipers!
Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath?
Produce good fruit as evidence of your repentance.
And do not presume to say to yourselves,
‘We have Abraham as our father.’
For I tell you,
God can raise up children to Abraham from these stones.
Even now the ax lies at the root of the trees.
Therefore every tree that does not bear good fruit
will be cut down and thrown into the fire.
I am baptizing you with water, for repentance,
but the one who is coming after me is mightier than I.
I am not worthy to carry his sandals.
He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
His winnowing fan is in his hand.
He will clear his threshing floor
and gather his wheat into his barn,
but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.”
Word on Fire
Centre for Liturgy
Liturgical odds & ends
Liturgy of the Hours - psalter week 2; 2nd week of Advent
Saints of the Week
December 5th - Saint Christina of Markyate
December 6th - St Nicholas of Myra
December 7th - St Ambrose of Milan
December 8th - Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary
December 9th - Saint Juan Diego
December 10th - Blessed Brian Lacey
We highly recommend that listeners and readers sign up for the weekly newsletter from the Limerick Diocesan Pastoral Centre. You can access this weeks newsletter HERE.