1 Feb 2013

St Bridget's Day - February 1st

Source

 Merciful God,
origin and reward of all charity,
you called Saint Brigid to teach the new commandment of love
through her life of hospitality and her care of the needy;
give to your people, by her intercession, a generous spirit,
so that, with hearts made pure,
we may show your love to all.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever

Amen
 
May God, who in Saint Brigid has provided an outstanding example of generosity: make your ears be ever open to the cry of the poor.
May you who greet Saint Brigid as Mary of the Gael receive from Jesus, Son of Mary, the reward promised to the pure of heart.
May God fill you with his love, as you honour Saint Brigid, whose heart and mind became a throne of rest for the Holy Spirit.
R/. Amen.


For lectio and reflection on the text of the readings of the day are available HERE.
 
You can read more about the feast day HERE.


St. Brigid’s Prayer
 
I’d like to give a lake of beer to God.
I’d love the Heavenly
Host to be tippling there
For all eternity.
I’d love the men of Heaven to live with me,
To dance and sing.
If they wanted, I’d put at their disposal
Vats of suffering.
White cups of love I”d give them,
With a heart and a half;
Sweet pitchers of mercy I’d offer
To every man.
I’d make Heaven a cheerful spot,
Because the happy heart is true.
I’d make the men contented for their own sake
I’d like Jesus to love me too.
I’d like the people of heaven to gather
From all the parishes around,
I’d give a special welcome to the women,
The three Marys of great renown.
I’d sit with the men, the women of God
There by the lake of beer
We’d be drinking good health forever
And every drop would be a prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.