|Our Lady of Advent|
Patron of the Unborn
Sr Maria Paul PDDM
In May we give thanks for Mary, Mother of God.
The month of May is the "month which the piety of the faithful has especially dedicated to Our Blessed Lady," and it is the occasion for a "moving tribute of faith and love which Catholics in every part of the world [pay] to the Queen of Heaven. During this month Christians, both in church and in the privacy of the home, offer up to Mary from their hearts an especially fervent and loving homage of prayer and veneration. In this month, too, the benefits of God's mercy come down to us from her throne in greater abundance" (Paul VI: Encyclical on the Month of May, no. 1).
There are many and varied hymns and songs to Mary and three years ago we posted a short series of some of your favourites. You will find them under the tag Songs for Mary's month
|Our Lady of Silence|
- Catholic Culture - Month of Mary
- NCR - Why is May the Month of Mary?
- In Marian devotions, the Faith takes on a special relationship to the poor - Karl Rahner, studying the phenomenon of Marian apparitions, points out that all these apparitions have one thing in common: in every case, Mary appears to a poor person. In every alleged apparition that has become accepted in popular devotion, the person Mary appears to is someone insignificant in the world’s eyes.
- There is something about Mary
- WoF - In defense of exaggerated Marian devotion
- A religion that endures: the medieval legacy in Irish popular piety
- May Crowning - A Reflection on a Marian Celebration