One little notice for our regular listeners. Due to changes at West Limerick 102fm there have been a number of changes to the station schedule. As a result our repeat programme goes out now on a Sunday night from 11pm to 12 midnight.
This weeks podcast is available HERE
Youth 2000 Ireland Mission Team
|Youth 2000 Ireland Mission Team|
(l-r) Gerard Hanley, Maura Garrihy and Ruth Boland
On October 11th 2012 Pope Benedict XVI launched the Year of Faith. In the Apostolic Letter that indicates this Year of Faith Pope Benedict speaks of the need to rediscover the journey of faith so as to shed even clearer light on the joy and renewed enthusiasm of the encounter with Christ. After much prayer and discernment Youth 2000 Ireland responded to this invitation by Pope Benedict with the introduction of a full time Retreat Team. This is a wonderful opportunity for young people to experience a great retreat and encounter three normal dynamic young people who have a positive message of faith which they want to share with other young people.
If people would like to find out more about the retreat team, check out the website for Youth 2000.
The interview with Maura is excerpted from the main programme and is available HERE.
Gospel - Luke 3:1-6
|St John the Baptist by Valentin de Boulonge|
This weeks gospel introduces us to the great figure of John the Baptist - the Forerunner, the Herald of the Messiah, the second Elijah come to announce the arrival of the Lord.
Luke's gospel presents John in the context of his time and how the "Spirit of the Lord" came to him; reminding us that prophets don't speak in their own words but from the Holy Spirit. John appears after a number of years of silence where no prophet had come to guide the people of Israel. Almost like the end of a pregnant period of silence he proclaims that the Lord is near. He calls the people to turn anew to God, to renew their love of God and to open their hearts to God.
For us this Advent, John like all the prophets poses questions to us this Advent.
- Whose voice am I listening to this Advent?
- Who decides the path I walk, the future I am creating?
- As I prepare for Christmas, am I consciously choosing what I prepare for, or am I doing-whats-expected, keeping-up-with-the-expectations ...? Did I decide I need all this food, or who decided it for me? Have I thought about how I celebrate, or am I assuming that I must ...?
Liturgical odds and ends
Divine Office - Week 2
Saints of the Week
- December 10th - Bl Brian Lacey (martyr)
- December 11th - St Damasus I (Pope)
- December 12th - St Finnian of Clonard and also Our Lady of Guadalupe
- December 13th - St Lucy (virgin, martyr)
- December 14th - St John of the Cross (Carmelite reformer and mystic, Doctor of the Church))
- December 15th - Bl Mary Frances Schervier