One blog post bringing together the links and resources already posted in advance of the publication of Laudato Sii. It will be updated over the next couple of days.
17th June 2015
Laudato Eve... Almost.
Concern for the poor is not Communism, Pope says in homily
16th June 2015
- As we prepare for the "official" publication of the encyclical, quotations from various previous papal encyclicals.
- Independent Catholic News - Count down to the Encyclical
- Crux - The pope’s eco-encyclical is likely to stir a hornet’s nest
- Crux - Why Pope Francis will never be a radical ‘Green’
- The Guardian - Explosive intervention by Pope Francis set to transform climate change debate
- The Guardian - Pope Francis warns of destruction of Earth's ecosystem in leaked encyclical
- The Catholic Herald - The world must act to stop climate change, says Pope Francis in leaked draft of encyclical
The ongoing drama of the leak of the draft by Sandro Magister:
- Holy See Press Office suspends credentials of journalist who leaked encyclical
- The Deacons Bench - Holy See pulls press credentials for prominent Vatican journalist over encyclical leak
- The Irish Times - Italian magazine leaks draft of Pope’s environment encyclical
- Crux - Why we wrote about the encyclical
15th June 2015
- Ignatian Solidarity has a list of resources, reflections and prayer resources ahead of 18th June and encourages people to use the #Hope4Pope
- Pope Francis’ Encyclical on Ecology: What to Expect and What Not
- Salt + Light - The Ecology Encyclical: Care for Our Common Home
- NCR - Climate encyclical expected to send strong moral message to the world
- Encyclical on environment intended for all, Pope says
- Catholic Herald - Catholic, Orthodox Christian and atheist to present Pope’s encyclical
- Draft of Pope Francis’ /Laudato Si/ Encyclical Leaked Today
- Version of encyclical leaks; Vatican calls for respect of embargo
- Draft of pope's environment encyclical leaked by magazine
- The Washington Post - Draft of the pope’s encyclical blames climate change on human activity
14th June 2015
Get ready for the newest summer blockbuster. No, it’s not Jurassic World — it’s even bigger, crazier, and more action packed: a religious document issued by the pope. The new encyclical is set to address climate change and humanity’s moral obligation to fight it. But unlike any encyclical ever issued before, this one has an epic (unofficial) movie trailer. (Continue reading HERE and the trailer is below!)
- BBC - Is Pope Francis a communist?
- Rocco Palmo - Whispers in the Loggia - "Nature Never Forgives" – For Eco-cyclical, The Final Countdown - Rocco gives some back ground to the forth coming encyclical as well as showing how the linkages are being made between Pope Francis forth coming message and his predecessors.
- CNA - Caring for creation is a duty for all, Pope says ahead of encyclical launch
- Crux - John Allen - Environmental manifesto may confirm Pope Francis as ‘Benedict 2.0’
- An alternative view being proposed to Pope Francis ahead of the publication of his encyclical this week (Catholic Herald) - A mad, bad and dangerous doctrine - Neo-Malthusian thinking risks even more poverty and environmental damage
10th June 2015
- Crux's analysis and coverage of the encyclical.
- From the Jesuit Post: Laudato Sii — Pope Francis’s Ecology Encyclical Is Almost Here! which has a number of suggestions for digesting the encyclical when it is published:
- John Allen over at Crux gives an excellent article on Getting ahead of the spin on the pope’s environmental encyclical
- Salt + Light discusses What is an encyclical? Is this Pope Francis’ first encyclical? Why is an encyclical on the environment necessary at this moment in history?
- Preview of encyclical? Pope sends encouragement to UN conference on climate change
- National Catholic Reporter responds to some of the over the top right wing political reaction in the USA to a document that is not yet published! - The Crazed Politics of Religion
- Patriarch Bartholomew urges the world to "Protect the Oceans" on World Ocean Day
2nd June 2015
As the publication date of Pope Francis encyclical on the environment approaches, it is interesting to note that the initial outlines of the new encyclical were given at an address by Cardinal Peter Turkson at the Pontifical University in Maynooth back in March 2015:
- Vatican Radio - Cardinal Turkson: together for stewardship of creation
- Irish Bishops Conference - Cardinal Peter Turkson delivers the Trócaire 2015 Lenten Lecture, Saint Patrick’s Pontifical University, Maynooth
- Crux - Cardinal previews Francis’ encyclical on the environment
- iCatholic - you can watch the video of the talk here
- What makes environment encyclical unusual? The pope sees 2015 as an ideal time for the Church to weigh in on ecology, but critics are lining up.
- Pope’s environmental encyclical to be titled ‘Laudato Sii’ (Praised Be You)
- Greenbacks and the green economy: Ecology is good business
Papal authority and Climate change - as we head into the summer and the approaching publication date of Pope Francis' encyclical on the environment and climate change there is a lot of disquiet and opposition growing in certain quarters of the church - before we even see a word of the encyclical!
- Millennial writer Daniel DiLeo has a new article at US Catholic
Other articles which have caught our eye in relation to it:
- The Jesuit Post - Pope Francis’s Ecology Encyclical – What Can We Expect?
- Thinking Faith - Donal Dorr - ‘The fragile world’: Church teaching on ecology before and by Pope Francis
- Crux - Pro-life anxiety over Pope Francis’ looming ecological manifesto
- Catholic Herald - There’s no need to fear Pope Francis’s environment encyclical
- NCR - Conservative corners have tepid take on Pope Francis' environment encyclical
- The Guardian - How will the world react to Pope Francis's encyclical on climate change?
- NCR - The Rollout of the Encyclical on the Environment