4 Dec 2015

Advent Reflections 2015 - An Advent Prayer

An Advent prayer
(Based on next Sunday's readings. Advent 2)
 
An Advent sunrise - N Lynch


Prepare the way ...
 
... I am settled in my ways.  Winter binds me tighter with it's woollen coats, rush to heat, lists of presents, cards and friends to meet.
 
... I am settled in my ways. Rituals of the working week, the Sunday feast, the laundry, shopping, child to feed. These rituals make sense of my life, but the ritual can be a rut too.
 
... I am settled in ways and suddenly John the Baptist walks into my Sunday Mass speaking a language of bulldozer, plough, adventure & excitement.
 
A langue of open spaces, fresh views, and new ways of walking.
 
I who am comfortable in small spaces, I am discomforted by this opening up. Have I been wrong or foolish to simply survive, don’t settled ways serve some purpose?
 
So I resist change, though I hear your spirit call ...
 
Oh but I want to see what you see Lord, I want to clear away anything that is blocking my view, adding unnecessary miles to my journey ...
 
As I struggle between safe paths and new roads, I hear again the words the first reading this Sunday
 
For God has decreed the flattening of each high mountain, of the everlasting hills,
the filling of the valleys to make the ground level
so that Israel can walk in safety under the glory of God. (From Baruch 5:1-9)
 
And my advent prayer slowly is not about forcing myself to new paths, but of trusting You who guide me, You who are my path.
 
For I have seen the saving grace of God and I want to see that salvation once more.
 
So I will go where you lead me Lord – so that this Christmas I will be able to see with your eyes and love the world with your heart. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.